The 2019 Alpine Rally of East Gippsland will be utilising a number of Virtual Chicanes (VC’s) on the event in areas of very high speed roads as a safety measure.
At a Virtual Chicane competitors will be required to slow down to 60kph or below, within a 250m VC zone. The VC zone will be marked on the course with “VC START” and “VC END” boards.
The following rules will apply:
- The RallySafe system will be used to determine the speed of the vehicle.
- On approaching the VC zone, there will be 300m, 200m, and 100m warning boards. At the start of the VC zone there will be “VC START” boards on both sides of the road and at the end of the zone there will be “VC END” boards. Between the VC START and VC END boards you need to decrease your speed to 60 kph or below.
- The RallySafe System will show the distance to the end of the Zone.
- Overtaking is not permissible within the Restricted Speed Zone. Penalty 30 seconds.
- Vehicles must not impede another Driver.
- As soon as this has been achieved, RallySafe will go Green and you can then accelerate back to competition speed.
The following penalties will apply for actions within a Restricted Speed Points:
- Reported lowest displayed speed exceeding 60km/h but not exceeding 65km/h, a penalty of 5 seconds.
- Reported lowest displayed speed exceeding 65km/h but not exceeding 70km/h, a penalty of 15 seconds.
- Reported lowest displayed speed exceeding 70km/h, a penalty of 60 seconds.
- Chicane observers will be deemed to be judges of fact over all activities relating to their location.
- The Stewards shall determine such other penalties as may be deemed fit, in addition to the minimum mandatory penalties outlined above.
Pictures of VC boards, rules and penalties will be included in Further Regulations.